History of Вarashi

Remains of an ancient Russian settlement of the 10th-11th centuries were found on the territory of the village, which indicates that these places have been inhabited since the days of Kyivan Rus. In the center of the village, on the bank of the river, the remains of an ancient settlement, which was called the Castle, surrounded by ramparts, were found. A Catholic church and a priest’s manor were located in the hillfort. 32 barrows in four groups were also discovered.

The first written mention dates back to 1566. Settled in 1577, as a small town, the center of the estate of the princes of Ostrozki Zvyagelsky key, on the right bank of the Slucha, with an area of ​​about 50 square miles. In 1581, the Kyiv voivode, Prince Konstantin Ostrozky, imposed a tax on 15 settlers and 18 fencers. It is mentioned in the act of July 21, 1586 that Prince Konstantin Ostrozky, who owned the village, ordered to extradite all the villagers who fled from Prince Yakym Koretsky to Barashy. The act of June 11, 1605 mentions the destruction of the ancient road from the town of Pulyn to the village of Barashi

Later, it passed to Stanislav Lyubomyrsky, as a dowry for Hristia Ostrozka, the daughter of Prince Alexander. In 1628, Lyubomyrsky contributed 540 zlotys 12 gulden from the Barashiv estate. Later, the village moved to Lipskyi. In a letter dated February 7, 1682, the owner of the village, Jan Lipskyi, the headman of Sandek, orders his governor in Barashy Shumynskyi not to oppress the villagers.

It is mentioned in the lustration of the Zhytomyr Castle in 1754 as a village that paid 2 zlotys and 5 zlotys to the castle and 9 zlotys and 8 zlotys to the police.

The surroundings of the village were rich in porcelain clay, so in 1854, Anelea Ratsyborska founded a porcelain factory in Barashy. In 1881, there were 4 furnaces at the Barashiv porcelain factory, producing up to 150,000 pieces of porcelain and earthenware for 15,000 rubles. The owner of the factory was A. Ratsyborska, the tenant was the merchant Hershfeld.

In the second half of the 19th century, it was a village on the Uzh River, the center of Barashiv Volost, Zhytomyr County, 80 versts from Zhytomyr, 40 versts from the nearest post office in Novohrad-Volynskyi, 100 versts from the nearest Polonne railway station. The Orthodox parish of the 4th class included the villages of Bobrytsa (8 versts), Kiyanka (8 versts), Simony (6 versts), Usolusy (12 versts) and 4 German colonies: Kremyanka, Oskarivka, Sorochen, and Chervona Fedorivka (Maidan) . Neighboring parishes, Ryasne and Andrievichi, were located 9 versts away. The parish owned 59 acres of land, of which 3 acres. – manor, arable land – 36 dez, hay fields – 20 dez. In 1867, a wooden church of the Transfiguration of the Lord was built. A chapel was built near the church, in the Mykolyntsi tract, on the blessed spring of Nicholas. Local people believed that the well had healing properties. The village had a water mill, a porcelain factory, and a Roman Catholic church. According to other sources, it was a chapel belonging to the Pulina parish.

In 1872, a one-class folk school was opened in the village. The institution was located in a public building, had one teacher and 42 students, was supported by state and public, including church, funds.

As of 1885, an Orthodox church, a church, a Jewish prayer house, a school, 2 inns, and a porcelain factory existed in the former owner’s village, the center of Barashiv Volost, Zhytomyr County, Volyn Province.

At the end of the 19th century, it was a village on the Uzh River, the center of Barashiv Volost, Zhytomyr County, 80 versts from Zhytomyr, the post office is Novograd-Volynskyi. The village had a parish church, a Catholic chapel (belonging to the Pulina parish), a parish council, a school, a mill, and a porcelain factory with a production volume of 15,000 rubles. The property of Raisa Maksymovych, who had 2,790 des. land It used to belong to Hrushetsky.

In 1906, it was a village of Barashiv Volost (1st Estate) of Zhytomyr County, Volyn Province. The distance to the district and provincial center, the city of Zhytomyr, was 75 versts. The nearest post and telegraph office was located in the town of Goroshki.

In 1905, the one-class public school was reorganized into a two-class school, and in 1923 it was included in the category of zemstvo schools. 117 boys and 19 girls studied. In 1922, the school became a seven-year school for all children, in 1928 – a school for collective farm youth, in 1935 – a secondary school with a ten-year term of study.

In 1923, the village became part of the newly created Barashiv village council, the administrative center of the council, and from March 7, 1923, it became the administrative center of the Barashiv district of the Korosten district.

In 1931, a power plant began operating in the village, and in 1935, a secondary school was opened.

During the famine in 1932-1933, 37 people died in the village. During the aggravation of the communist-Stalinist terror against the Ukrainian people in the 1930s, the NKVD authorities arrested and imprisoned 70 villagers for various terms, 26 of whom were shot. Today, all victims of the Soviet government have been rehabilitated.

802 peasants fought on the fronts of the Second World War, 192 of them died, 309 were awarded orders and medals. A monument was erected in their honor in the village.

In Soviet times, the central estate of the collective farm was located in the village, which had about 4,000 acres of land, including 1,900 acres of arable land. In the village there were 5 shops, 2 canteens, a communication department, household service workshops, a district hospital, a polyclinic, a high school, a cultural center, a cinema, a library.

On December 30, 1962, as a result of the liquidation of the Barashiv district, together with the village council, it became part of the Yemilchyna district of the Zhytomyr region.

The village football team “Barashi” became the champion of the Zhytomyr region in football in 2011.

On July 28, 2016, the administrative center of the community became part of the Barashiv rural territorial community of Yemilchyn district of Zhytomyr region.

On September 24, 2016, the 450th anniversary of the first written mention of the village of Barashi was celebrated. People’s deputy of Ukraine Lytvyn Volodymyr Mykhailovych was among the invited guests.

From July 19, 2020, together with the community, as part of the newly created Novograd-Volyn district of Zhytomyr region.

other Establishments of this category “”

Digital passport